Ten things your mom told you that never go out of style.
It’s Mother’s Day and millions of moms around the country are no doubt enjoying some extra sleep, or perhaps a nice breakfast in bed. I wish all our moms a very happy day, and I give thanks for them and the opportunity to honor them.
Geoffrey James has put together a nice collection of sayings that we’ve probably all heard from our mothers, and he helps apply it to our professional lives:
1. Look both ways before crossing the street.
Taking risks is a big part of life, but it’s always a good idea to think twice before you take them.
2. If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.
Never badmouth your competitors, your customer’s competitors and especially your other customers.
3. Anything worthwhile takes effort.
While opportunities may drop in your lap, taking advantage of them always requires hard work.
4. Treat people the way you want to be treated.
Most workplace hassles are the result of people NOT following this simple but universal rule.
5. Eat your vegetables, they’re good for you.
What’s the point of having money if you don’t have your health? Eating healthy foods should be part of every success plan.
6. Go play outside! It’s a beautiful day!
Whenever possible, spend at least some of your workday out of your office and breathing the fresh air.
7. Turn off that light. Do you think we own the electric company?
It’s all too easy to ignore the small expenses that, when added up, can destroy your profitability.
8. Don’t sit so close to the TV, it’ll ruin your eyes.
Most of us spend WAY too much time glued to our computer screens, our tablets and our cell phones. Take a break!
9. Are you going out dressed like that?
Like it or not, people judge you by what you’re wearing and how you wear it. Be mindful of the effect you’re having.
10. Life isn’t fair.
The world does not owe you a living and you’ll have to play the cards that you get dealt, so make the most of it.
Have a great week!